Thursday 12 August 2021

Back Once Again!

Peacock Butterfly
After several difficult years I have finally returned to watching wildlife with a view to reducing the stress experienced in daily life. 

I returned to Big Waters Hide for the first time in a long time this week to find some of the same faces still working hard to maintain it and keep its beautiful inhabitants comfortable and the visitors happy.



This time I have a daughter and I have already introduced her to the nature reserve and many of its wild inhabitants, she is showing great interest and love for life of all kinds and I hope to encourage this in the future.

I'm hoping to use the time at Big Waters and other reserves to relax and escape my photographic studio and commercial work for a more peaceful form of photography that I am just as passionate about.

This last week I have been seeing a lot of life in the Big Waters Reserve, a green sandpiper, peacock butterflies, roe deer, sparrowhawk, garden birds and of course Alan, one of several guys that look after the space and I enjoy talking to about the life that is surrounding us.


Male Juvenile Great Spotted Woodpecker 

Although I have not been to the hide in years, it feels like just 5 minutes, I cant believe how much I have missed just relaxing and watching the wildlife. The space is still as beautiful as ever and the hide has had work done by the dedicated volunteers that care for it. 

I'm hoping at some point I will see another rare visitor to the site and with the world the way it is with COVID it's a lovely escape to a world of bird song.


A Heron making a graceful landing in the lake.

Over the coming months I hope to capture more of this wildlife and intend on taking my young daughter to watch it too. I'll continue to record my sightings here and may even pay a visit to a few other reserves so do return to the blog soon!


Green Sandpiper




No comments:

Post a Comment